Normal Topic windows update (Read 429 times)
debmckee

windows update
Dec 6th, 2012 at 12:05am
Print Post Print Post  
I have had an unsual problem over the past month.  A printer that would not print any form that was programmed through a printstring command. It worked just fine and then stopped.  I worked with Ray on it, I worked with our network IT person, I worked with the IT person from the printer company.  Nobody could fix it or solve it.  However..........our IT person today rolled back all Windows7 updates to prior to the stoppage.  It now works again???  Has anyone heard of any Windows7 64 bit problems like this??  We have no idea what update it would have been.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Re: windows update
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 4:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
We have our QA files on a machine running XP being used as a server.  A few months ago we suddenly got errors of something like "can't find network drive" from the various machines accessing that.  We were able to check the error message and Microsoft's on-line tech info said a particular update could cause that.  When we uninstalled the update on the XP machine everything worked fine.

A related possibility is that even if you uninstall a printer, Windows 7/8 doesn't automatically uninstall the associated driver.  On a number of occasions, in troubleshooting a printer problem I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and it didn't help. One time I noticed that after the uninstall the driver was still there.  When I uninstalled the driver and then reinstalled the printer that fixed the problem.

How many updates have there been since the problem arose?  Are any specific to printers or to a particular brand or model?

One technique you can use is called "half-split division".  Imagine that you have a string of 100 lightbulbs and you don't know which one is dead.  You can remove #50 and check continuity from 1 to 49 with one test.  If that's good, you've eliminated 49 with one test. If that's bad, remove #25 and then test from 1-24 (and if necessary 26-49).  Then remove #12 and repeat.

The same thing can be done with adding back the updates.  (By the way, I would first try reinstalling ALL the updates.  Sometimes sequence makes a difference and the problem may not reappear.)

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: windows update
Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2012 at 9:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Shell sort/search.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged