Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Macro shortcut on destop (Read 2488 times)
ST

Macro shortcut on destop
Dec 27th, 2012 at 12:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Just Upgraded to win8 and unable to setup macro shortcut on desktop. any help will be appreciated.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Macro shortcut on destop
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 2:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

What do you have typed in the target of the Icon?
Are you getting any error messages when clicking on the icon?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #2 - Dec 27th, 2012 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Contrary to the claim that Win 8 is just Win 7 with the Modern interface, with touchscreen support and without the Media Center, the fact is there are a lot of differences.  Microsoft went absolutely crazy with security. For instance, users of AutoHotKey have found they can't feed keystrokes to a program (pretty much makes AutoHotKey useless! ...). A lot of things that used to work fine, such as editing a text file under C:\Program Files\ now require opening something as Administrator and clicking through several permission boxes.

IP Logged

ST

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 10:15am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I input the target same as before and the error message is "wording incorrect".

Example
C:\data\sesame2\program\sesame.exe-macro"c:\data\sesame2\marco\wconfirm.mac"

Lucky that I keep the old machine running before migrating totally to win8.

btw, after upgraded to 2.53, after running the macro to setup several spec options, the window of spec manager stays open and have to close manually. Any way to solve this?

Thanks,

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 3:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
In your example, the command line has no spaces. Is that the case? If so, insert a space character before and after "-macro".

Code
Select All
C:\data\sesame2\program\sesame.exe -macro "c:\data\sesame2\marco\wconfirm.mac"

Double check that your paths are still valid under Windows 8.

The macro may be a bit different under Windows 8. That is the problem with macros in a GUI environment. Any small change to the GUI can throw off the event sequence. You may need to re-record the macro. Or, better, use a less dependent approach.

Can you be more specific as to the end-goal of this macro?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

ST

Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 11:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've tried as advised and it starts sesame ok then ask me to choose an application file to open which does not show any .mac file.

I want these macro shortcuts to show different status of records without choosing the retrieve, sort and table spec everytime. For example, one shortcut showing records with waiting for payment and another showing waiting for delivery.

Thanks to your help.

IP Logged

ST

Reply #6 - Dec 30th, 2012 at 2:10am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all,

New development! I had changed the "start in:" to C:\data\sesame2\ and the macro shortcut works. Still had to close the Spec Manager manually, had tried alt f4 in the macro but not working, any ideas.

Thanks to all the help.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 2012 at 3:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
If your goal is speed and convenience, I would recommend that you use SBasic with a startup menu form instead of using macros for this. You get a lot more control over the actions and you are not subject to changes in the OS changing the event management.

I'll look into the macro support in the spec dialog to see what is up with the keystroke.

IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Chances are the keystroke is a problem with Win 8's enhanced security.  That is what screwed up AutoHotKey. In many instances Win 8 doesn't allow programmatic insertion of keystrokes into a program, at least not unless you go through all the Run As Administrator + UAC dialogs garbage to run the program that inserts the keystrokes.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2013 at 11:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Rick,

I don't think this has anything to do with 8's enhanced security, that would only affect insertion of events from one program into another. Sesame macros insert events to our GUI libraries event loop, bypassing Windows entirely.

It is more likely that Sesame is getting confused as to which window has focus and is sending the event to the main window, instead of the spec dialog window, and that might be due to changes in the event model between versions of Windows.

IP Logged

ST

Reply #10 - Jan 5th, 2013 at 1:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks to all the help. The problem (spec manager window not closing after marco) started when I upgraded to 2.53 while using XP. I am now trying  to figure out how to create a startup menu. I used QA5 before and Sesame is way too complicate for me.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2013 at 5:29am
Print Post Print Post  
Contact support. They can lead you through the process of building a startup menu. It isn't too difficult once you get used to the terminology.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2013 at 10:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
ST,

Like you, I am seeing a problem when the macro addresses the spec dialog window. But, I am not seeing a problem with recording and saving macros that simply select a form, fill out the search criteria and perform the search - bypassing the spec dialog.

IP Logged

ST

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2013 at 2:11am
Print Post Print Post  
I also have different sort and table spec. That's why I choose to use macros to get the table I want. Anyway, all I have to do is click the "close" button and everything is fine.

IP Logged