Normal Topic Custom Help Screen (Read 865 times)
BWETTLAUFER

Custom Help Screen
Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi all,

I have a small upgrade I want to perform, and I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Each record in our database has a different province or state.  What I want to do is build a custom help function that pulls up a different help message specific to each record's province.

Can I do this with @help, or do I need to build some sort of command button that does an XLOOKUP to another database in the application?

Thanks!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Custom Help Screen
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can do it with the builtin help (@Help), but it would be a lot more flexible using either another database, ascii files, or if you need to get really fancy - HTML and a web browser.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks ... I'm thinking of another database, because the laws may change and I'll need an interface for my staff.

To make it more elegant/intuitive, is there a way to make it an F1 option (or another Function key) to do a popup window, or do I need to build a command button, or on Element Entry programming?

Thanks,
Blair

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think you can assign a keyboard shortcut to a command button by placing an ampersand in front of the shortcut letter in the label (i.e.: "C&ustom Help"). You need to use a unique shortcut, not already in use.

Overriding an in-use keystroke like F1 is also probably possible, but quite a bit more difficult. Look through some of the event / keyboard commands in SBasic. You might find something.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Rick_R

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2013 at 10:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
What I did for a help was various helps (mainly instructions) are written in HTML, which most people can edit with various free WYSIWYG. That allows full formatting. In practice you're talking bold, italics, justification, horizontal rules and colors, not full-blown CSS  stylesheets.

Another benefit is that the user isn't stuck having to pull up the help, remember it, close the window and then go back to the form.

Because I like Firefox and others don't, I allow specifying the browser. by defining a static variable sHTMLBrowser.  You can also define a default and a custom help path.

// ======================================================================
// VIEW HTML HELP
// Opens the specified HTML document in the specified browser
// The browser is set in a static variable
// ======================================================================
Subroutine ViewHTMLHelp(vHelpPath as String, vHelpDocName as String)
     // Assumes user has FireFox installed !!!
     var CmdLine as String

If vHelpPath = "" then vHelpPath = sDefaultHelpPath
     If @Right(vHelpPath, 1) <> "\" then vHelpPath = vHelpPath + "\"

CmdLine = @chr(34) + sHTMLBrowser + @chr(34) + " " + @chr(34) + vHelpPath + vHelpDocName + @chr(34)
     CreateAProcess(CmdLine)
End Subroutine // ViewHTMLHelp

IP Logged