Normal Topic Request for Non-intrusive Notification Mechanism (Read 583 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Request for Non-intrusive Notification Mechanism
Dec 4th, 2013 at 6:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
We have been using WriteLN, @msgbox, @askuser ( ), etc but they are all too intrusive and require to have response from a user. @Message ( ) is hardly noticeable. I have been seeing notification bubbles from taskbar in various other programs. I believe, such notification mechanism will be very much appreciated by users. Any plan to have something like that in the future version?

IP Logged

tcgeo

Re: Request for Non-intrusive Notification Mechanism
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 1:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bharat,

Something I’ve used for quite a while with success, is to make a Static Text LE containing your message, place wherever you like on the form, set the LE Selection Layer = 2, Visible = False. Setting "Look" to Box Shape Rounded with a Back/Fill color to catch the users eye works well also.

Now set Visibility(LE, 1) (show the message) for when the condition is or is not met, and Visibility(LE, 0) (close the message) for the opposite.

For example, I’ve used this for a pop-up help On Element Entry, Visibility(LE, 1), then On Element Exit, Visibility(LE, 0) to make the message disappear when the user leaves the field, or On Element Immediate Change as the user starts typing in the element.

Hope this helps.

Brandon

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Request for Non-intrusive Notification Mechanism
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2013 at 3:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Brandon. I will look into this. I was looking this for my file polling application to let me know if the file is received or anyfile waiting in the box for me to see or is there any error in sending a file. It could appear anytime when such event occurs.  I am using WriteLN ( ) for now and @msgbox ( ) and @askUser ( ) to re-send the file in case of error. Thanks again.

IP Logged