Normal Topic Running as Service on Windows 2008 Server R2 (Read 567 times)
jacker

Running as Service on Windows 2008 Server R2
Apr 14th, 2014 at 12:02am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm moving a Sesame client-server installation to a cloud server, I believe they are running Hyper-V. I've tried just about every combination of parameters to creating a service, here's my latest combination and it STILL will not start:

sc create SesameServer binpath= "c:\Sesame2\Program\Sesame.exe -server sesame.mydomain.com -daemon" type= own start= auto displayname= "Sesame Server"

The creation is successful but I can't get it to start without throwing the follow:

"Windows could not start the Sesame Server service on Local Computer.
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control requst in a timely fashion."

In the event viewer:

EventID 7009: A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Sesame Server service to connect.

I've tried it with or without the -daemon tag...and, Sesame runs fine in server mode interactively from the desktop AND I can run it as a Scheduled Task.

Also, assuming the server does an unexpected reboot, is there a way to unlock the applications on startup automatically?

Jack - I'm smokin' past the filter and it's burnin' my lips...
YIM YIM  
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Running as Service on Windows 2008 Server R2
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2014 at 3:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Jacker,

One issue that I am seeing with SC is that it expects Sesame to be a Service and respond to Service Start and Stop calls, which it does not.

You may be able to use Microsoft's SrvAny application. One thing to note that is if you can't set the working directory of the application started with SrvAny, you will need to set the environment variables SESAME_ROOTDIRS_PATH and SESAME_LICENSE_PATH so that Sesame Server can find the Rootdirs.ini and s_license2.lic file. I say may on this as I have not used SrvAny as I normally just set the Server to run as a Scheduled Task.

You can unlock the application on restart by setting up a scheduled task that runs the c:\Sesame2\Utilities\Lantica\sunlock.exe executable and pass it the DB file to unlock as an argument.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged