Normal Topic Can't open files in Linux (Xubuntu) (Read 1566 times)
Carl

Can't open files in Linux (Xubuntu)
Sep 17th, 2014 at 11:06am
Print Post Print Post  
How do I open files in Linux? I select open and the dialog box comes up but I am unable to change directories outside of the Program directory. In the area at the bottom it looks like I can type in something there but am unable to select the field. Any ideas? I have tried on two different computers with the same result.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Can't open files in Linux (Xubuntu)
Reply #1 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 1:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you are launching using an Icon, you will want to set the working directory to the Sesame2 folder.

If you are launching from a Terminal window, you will want to run Sesame from the Sesame2 folder by using ./Program/sesame

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Parfumeur

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 2:16am
Print Post Print Post  
I'm very new to Linux, and using Mint 17.1 Rebecca.  This is my first venture.

Is there a clear to the point synopsis on the installation, where to put the files, and directories to create and any command line to set up parameters??  A little 4-5 paragraph note or PDF with very basic instructions for someone coming from the Windows world.

FWIW, I'm coming from Q&A, the machine is a stand alone, and not connected to any server.  Just the 'Net for updates and installs.  I did try to copy the files as directed by the Read.me file, but I could not.  Guess I need to read the topic on permissions.....  I got the d/l version and never had a CD with the "Sesame Installation Guide" for Linux.

Thank you for any hints!   Wink

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2015 at 5:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you download the linux version (Linux full install), you will download a file called "sesame_2_6_0_personal_linux.tgz". This is a compressed "tar" archive file. Save this file anywhere you want.

To uncompress and extract the files, in a directory where you have write permissions, use the following command:

tar xvzf sesame_2_6_0_personal_linux.tgz

That will create a directory called "Sesame2" wherever your current working directory is. Sesame does not need to be installed system-wide or in some special place, especially if it is just for your own use.

Under the Sesame2 directory you will find the "Program" directory, the Linux executables are there. There will also be a "Data" directory and under that a "Samples" directory, with some sample applications.

If you do want Sesame to be available to all users, simply move the "Sesame2" directory to "/usr/local/Sesame2":

sudo mv Sesame2 /usr/local

and set the path environment variable to include "/usr/local/Sesame2/Program", depending on which shell your are running, that could be something like:

PATH=/usr/local/Sesame2/Program:$PATH

in your .bashrc file (if you are running bash).

Otherwise, you can simply invoke Sesame by typing the full path to the executable in your own account:

~/Sesame2/Program/sesame

(the "~" means "my account")

or you can make a nice icon on the desktop that specifies the path. I would need to know which desktop (gnome, KDE, etc) you are running to give you more specific instructions for setting that up.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Parfumeur

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 5:42am
Print Post Print Post  
THANK YOU!  That is exactly what I needed to know.

I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" Cinnamon Edition.

The execution and placing of the Sesame program files went perfect.  I did create a 'Launch' icon, at that works great..  now I'm trying to figure out how to make that 'pretty' icon. I'll check my book or Google tomorrow.

Again, THANK YOU.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 4:18am
Print Post Print Post  
You are very welcome.

Because you are using Cinnamon, the instructions for making a launcher in Gnome will probably be close enough. Ray, will correct me if I am wrong, but there is probably a .png file included with the installation that is intended for use as an icon. If not, I'm sure we can send you one. Though, if you are deploying your own custom Sesame application you might want your icon to reflect the application itself more than Sesame.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2015 at 1:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
No png file but there is the sesame2.ico file in the Sesame2 folder that the image can be extracted from using icoutils on Linux, or by using the convert tool of ImageMagick, or a variety of other methods.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged