Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Users locking forms (Read 1631 times)
NHUser

Users locking forms
Oct 22nd, 2014 at 8:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe I've asked this question before but I've never resolved the issue.

In one of my frequently used databases, there is a statement at the bottom of the window "This form is currently locked by another user on ...." whenever someone opens a form that someone else is already using.

I've used this statement to track down the computers locking the forms using the server admin section under NOTIFICATIONS.  However, recently the names at the bottom of the forms don't reflect the names of the computers on the system.  Also, there are several users that have the same name!

I've verified from my IT support expert that there is no duplication of user names on the network.  He believes it must be a table or some such in the Sesame software.

Can you help me get back to having one name-one computer?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Users locking forms
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

Sesame asks the system for the computer name that belongs to the IP address that the Sesame client who is locking the record is on so if there are issues with name resolution you can get what you are seeing. What you can do is use the -system_id startup switch on each client to specify the name that you want displayed in both the notifications tab and in the status bar when a record is locked.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 8:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray, is there any possibility that he is already using "-system_id" in his icons, but cut and paste the same system id into each of his desktops?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 1:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

I doubt it as the display at the bottom of the screen is ComputerName and then a space and then the SystemID as provided by the startup switch so he'd be seeing both names at the same time.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

NHUser

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Would you explain what the "-system_id startup switch" switch is?  How do I access it?  What/how do I modify it and what do I modify it to?

Thanks!

Paul

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 5:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
The "-system_id" startup switch allows you to add identifying information about the client that the server can use to distinguish one client from another. This is especially useful in your case (where the OS is not correctly identifying different computers) or in the case where you have more than one client running on the same computer and you need to tell them apart.

The syntax is:
sesame -system_id MySpecialName

Where "MySpecialName" is any single word, no spaces. As Ray mentioned, this string will appear next to the system name in the administrative interface.

IP Logged

NHUser

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 9:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
So, where would the -system_ID MySpecialName switch go?  Is it part of the Sesame login process?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
No, it is a startup switch.

Whenever you start any program, whether on the command line or from an icon, you are really starting it from a command line, though in the case of an icon, that command line is hidden from you. If you check your Sesame icon's properties you will see the command line that starts Sesame.

Start up switches (and Sesame has a lot of them available) follow the command:

sesame -client MyServer

and give the command options from the start. In the example above, which starts Sesame as a client, the startup switch is "-client".

So, unless you are on a command line proper, look in the icon's properties for the command that starts Sesame. Edit it to add additional startup switches.

To get a list of all of Sesame's startup switches, from a command line, type "sesame -help". They are also list in the manual.

IP Logged

NHUser

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 2:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
To start Sesame on our system, we use a batch file with the command line:

C:\Sesame2\Program\sesame.exe -blink -client  "diacom08" d:\apps\sesame2\data\DiaComVer2.db

So, if I understand correctly, I need to add "-system_id MySpecialName" somewhere in this command.  Should I add it before or after the "-client "diacom08..."?

Also, i'll need to add it to each computer and modify "MySpecialName" to something unique on each computer, correct?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2014 at 1:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Add it just before or after "-blink".

Yes, you will need to add it to each computer and the string should be unique for that computer.

But, it would still be a good idea to discover why your network/OS is failing to identify computers.

Here is how it works in Sesame (or any other TCP/IP program). When a client connects to the server, the server receives the IP address of that client. This is expressed semi-numerically (i.e.: 192.169.0.12, etc.) The server passes that number to a network library function that is part of the OS to ask name services for the name of the computer that goes with that number. If the function returns an error, Sesame will simply display the number. If there is no error, Sesame displays the name.

IP Logged

NHUser

Reply #10 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your help.  I got it working and it looks good.

IP Logged