Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Identifying Multiple Servers (Read 1843 times)
Robert Manshack

Identifying Multiple Servers
Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
I need to run more than one instance of sesame on my server pc.  I know that I can name each shortcut differently so I know which one I'm starting but what happens if one crashes and becomes unresponsive and I have to use task manager to kill it?  In Task manager all the sesame processes look identical. (sesame.exe *32)

Also, when multiple server windows are open I guess I'll have to identify them by the app that's listed in the "Open Applications" window.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Identifying Multiple Servers
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 10:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
To remedy the situation in task manager you can simply copy the existing executable to a set of new names:

copy sesame.exe sesame_1.exe
copy sesame.exe sesame_2.exe

etc...

and then running them in a meaningful order. You might consider naming them so as to include the base port number that server is meant to use:

copy sesame.exe sesame_20002.exe

etc...

To tell one admin window from another, I recommend arranging them on the screen in a particular order.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Additionally, I have found that there utilities on Windows for changing a window's title bar. Such as this one:

http://www.murgee.com/window-title-changer/

I haven't tried these, so use with care.

If you are running XWindows (Linux), there are similar utilities and it is likely they are already included in your operating system.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 7:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Also,

Just because you were interested, I just added a new command line argument to Sesame3, "-window_title <title>" that allows you to change the window title when launching Sesame.

IP Logged

Robert Manshack

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the info! 

Are there any best practices on choosing port ranges for additional sesame instances on the same machine?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
They should be above 1024, below 65536, and unused by any other program you might consider running. Otherwise, simply use port numbers that will be easy to remember. You can assign them to environment variables, so you can call them by name rather than number, if that helps at all.

How many instances of Sesame server are you running?

IP Logged

Robert Manshack

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2015 at 9:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'll end up running about 4.  Right now everybody is on one instance and it isn't working out so well.  There are 2 major apps in 2 separate departments then a bunch of very small apps. Currently if it goes down for any reason then it affects all apps and all departments.  But all 4 instances would be ran on the same machine.

IP Logged

Robert Manshack

Reply #7 - Feb 3rd, 2015 at 10:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
When I start the second instance of Sesame on the server it only shows one client seat available instead of mirroring what the first server says is available.  They are both running from the same location, only the ports are different.  They can both see the license file because they are running from the exact same location.  Any ideas?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 2:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Robert,

What you may want to do is assign each Sesame Server a different start in directory so that the log files and recently used files are separate from each other. Then place the .LIC file in each of those directories.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Robert Manshack

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
So, create directories and put sesame.exe and the LIC file in each one and start them from there?

E:\Sesame2\App1\Program\Sesame_app1.exe
E:\Sesame2\App2\Program\Sesame_app2.exe

Something like that?

To run the server one shortcut would be for example:
E:\Sesame2\App1\Program\Sesame_app1.exe -server machinename:port1:port2

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 5:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes and the start in would be

E:\Sesame2\App1\

Which is where you would have the rootdirs.ini, and s_license2.lic file for that server.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 6:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just to clarify a bit, it doesn't matter where the executable is located. What matters is the value of the "start in" environment variable (as set in the executable's icon - usually). The "start in" tells the executable what directory path to consider the current working directory. Looking at it from a command line perspective, if you issue a command to start an executable from a particular directory path:

c:\User\Cow\Example> c:\Programs\hello.exe

The "hello.exe" program will run believing that it is in the "\User\Cow\Example" directory, and look for its files there.

The same thing is accomplished with icons, by setting the "start in" value in the properties for that icon to "C:\User\Cow\Examples". In which case the executable is invoked from wherever it resides (in this case "c:\Programs") and runs in the "c:\User\Examples" directory.

So, no - you really don't have to copy the Sesame executable into any directories. You can leave it wherever you want it and simply make new Sesame icons that have different "start in" values.

Sesame will look for its license file in the current working directory, as set by the "start in" value. A license file must reside in whatever "start in" directories you specify.

While we have always given a wink to those that would copy our license file so as to connect more clients than they have purchased, we do appreciate it if you purchase additional licenses for any additional clients over and above your current license.

IP Logged

Robert Manshack

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2015 at 7:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the additional info.  Currently I have an 85 user license and have never hit more than 30 concurrent and that's among all the apps combined.  But I'll definitely get additional licensing if we hit that 85 mark.  As is when I split the server instances then 15 of those 30 will go with it and I'll end up with 15 out of 85 in each instance being used.  So I'm not adding additional users, just loading a separate instance to keep the memory heaps and threads separate so things are as stable as they can be.

IP Logged