Normal Topic Automatic data import? (Read 841 times)
Robert Manshack

Automatic data import?
Jul 8th, 2015 at 8:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Wondering if anyone could help describe the process to automate a file import.  I'll be building a form based on the text file.  Then I'll create an import schema so the app knows from day forward what column goes into what element since I plan on making tabs. 

Would there be a way to automate the process of importing the file?  Each time we will be wiping out the sesame file using a mass delete and importing the file fresh.  I'm guessing one option might be a command button to do the mass delete then some code runs to get the file off the ftp server and begin the import process......  Can there be a process outside of the app maybe on the command line?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Automatic data import?
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
To automate it thoroughly, I'd recommend using the Sesame API and one of the available scripting languages:

C#
Java
PHP
Python
VB
Generic

To import the data. The API implements an interface very similar to the SBasic XResultSet commands. This approach would allow to write a command line program that reads your ascii file and then posts the data to new records in a Sesame application, with no human intervention.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Wilder

Re: Automatic data import?
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 10:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Look at the Programmers guide page 483.  There is a program to parses a delimited text file and creates new database records from it.  I used this as part of one of my programs to import records into the database.

There were multiple fields in each record,  I only needed 3 fields, but they were not always in the same column.  Used a ask user screen to get the columns to be used. 

See this forum thread for an example of posting to the data records,

http://lantica.com/Forum4/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1434322975

The code in this thread is from the program used to import data. 

Hope this helps

IP Logged