Normal Topic Document Management in Server Client setup (Read 958 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Document Management in Server Client setup
Jan 26th, 2016 at 3:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
At the present time, in order to manage various documents in pdf format, I store the location of the documents in subform and open them using @Asychshell ( ) command. So far it worked fine as documents were prepared at the mainserver computer, stored and opened up only at the mainserver. But now I want to have capability of them being prepared either by scanner or creating and putting the location and name of the file through client computers in subforms and also seamlessly opening and viewing. Now questions:
1. Where do I store the file? Until now it has been on the server computer in C:\Sesame2\Documents folder. I believe it would not work as when Client try to open or create a document, it will look into Client's C:\Sesame2\Documents folder

2. If I just store the document in Sever computer, can I name the path as //server c:\sesame2\documents\ ?    I am not sure if it //server or \\server.  And if I do that, will mainserver see it as the proper link.

3. Option of placing and storing documents in the cloud. Is it feasible? How do I do it? Any ideas?

4. What if I sync folder C:\Sesame2\documents\ of  the server computer to the client that needs to have capability of creating and working with documents? I have been using BitTorrent Sync to sync various folders in different computers, either in LAN or others through Internet and it seems to be working well so far.

Considering I have several thousands documents in the system and without doing much to upset them or without need to change the location field drastically, in short minimal disruption,  will be desirable.   

I am sure many of you here have made documents management system made using sesame and I would appreciate whatever help I get to deal with this growing pains. Thanks.
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2016 at 4:30pm by Bharat_Naik »  

Document_subform.jpg ( 128 KB | 56 Downloads )
Document_subform.jpg

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Document Management in Server Client setup
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 6:07am
Print Post Print Post  
I'd recommend using the UNC path to the file (i,e.: \\Computer\Path\To\File). It should work on all of the clients, and may work on the hosting server as well. Give it a try with a sample record. If it does not work on the hosting computer, leave off the first portion (i.e.: \\Computer\) in the element/field, and then attach the appropriate computer name on the clients dynamically in SBasic. That way the remote client will have \\Computer\Path\To\File and the hosting computer will have just \Path\To\File. To distinguish one computer from another you can use the "-user_param" flag on startup and the @UserParameter function in SBasic, if needed.

Whenever possible, always leave off the drive letter, if you can. It is a archaic leftover from CPM/DOS and was always a bad idea, even then. File systems should be a uniform hierarchy with one root directory, even if spread across several hardware platters.

If UNC doesn't serve, I'd recommend using one of the Window's implementations of NFS. This will allow you to mount another computer's file-system as a directory on the local computer. You could then create a directory on the server named (for example), "Images" and then mount that directory on all of the client computers also simply as "Images". That would allow you to use the same path on all the computers, without having to specify anything as clunky as drive letters or computer names.

Several of the cloud implementations mount as either drive letters (bad) or as UNC paths. Some use a scheme similar to NFS where a particular path / directory represents the starting point of the cloud storage. If you intend to host the cloud locally, this may be a viable and preferred option. Using a remote cloud through the Internet may be cumbersome if your PDF files are large or your Internet connection is either slower or less reliable. Not many of us have 100 Mbs Internet.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: Document Management in Server Client setup
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2016 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark for your input. I am leaning towards syncing document folders over the LAN. As mentioned earlier, I have been using BitTorrent Sync that could work over LAN as well as Internet. This way I will not have to change the code and existing data. Your feedback and exploring various ways to accomplishing it was very useful.  Thanks again.

IP Logged