Normal Topic Reconciliation of .dsr to .db Caused Data Loss? (Read 1929 times)
actiontech

Reconciliation of .dsr to .db Caused Data Loss?
Apr 12th, 2016 at 1:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

I augmented, rearranged, and otherwise updated a Sesame .dsr file that already was linked to a .db. Interestingly enough, when I view it in "Preview Mode" everything works gloriously. But, as soon as I reconcile it to the .db file. The .db and .dat files both decrease immensely in file size. And then of course, when using the application in Sesame main, it retrieves not a single record.

It's as if all the records just disappear. Yet they show up in Sesame Designer. Another interesting note, that preview mode, doesn't show the most current amount of records. It shows about 23,000 compared to the 24,500 current records.

I've scoured through the Sesame User Guide, studying about reconciliation, .db, .dat, .dsr, .ddt, and what is a field, what is a record, etc, and everything it has to say about reconciliation, all to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I'm missing?

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Re: Reconciliation of .dsr to .db Caused Data Loss?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi,

If I am understanding correctly there are a couple of things I think maybe might be a issue , when you preview you are actually working with the records that were either originally in the DSR when you started or the records you entered while playing in the dsr.

The database and DSR are completely independent from each other. when you reconcile it is only taking the structure and any choices from the reconcile menu (security, specs etc) and "updating" the DB structure. No records from the DSR preview moves.

If you want the exact info that is in the DSR and preview, use the save as new application from the dsr menu.

The concept is that the users can continue to work on the database while you can work on changes to the application in the DSR and then reconcile the new features into the Database without effecting the users data.

Just for the record I have been a SESAME user for many many years and I have never lost data or had problems with reconciling so you should have no worries.

I hope this helps, keep us posted

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 2:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you so much for your response.

Unfortunately, what I am trying to do, is to reconcile the .dsr (the structure) to the .db (the most current collection of all the records), and when doing so. Or after doing so, when I open the newly reconciled .db it shows no records. I've tried retrieving all records, retrieving specific records, nothing. Not a single record.

Also, the file size of the .db and .dat decreases immensely, by maybe 20,000+ kilobytes.

The .dsr is not programming heavy, there are a few calendar buttons, and the most programming heavy feature is the WordMerge command, which I tweaked slightly. But I don't see how that programming would cause this kind of issue.

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 2:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you reconcile do you see the changes in the database?  I always use a version number in the corner of my main screen that tells me at least I know for sure that I reconciled the right database.

I am sure others will chime in, many way more capable to help then I am.

Thinking scorched earth, worse case senerio you can always export all the data out of your DB save the DSR as new application without any data and just import the old data in. I can't imagine that being necessary but as a worse case, it's not to bleak.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2016 at 3:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
If the database itself was deleted and then rebuilt from scratch(Or if all the fields were deleted and then recreated) it will have different ID's meaning that it is a different database in the eyes of Reconcile. What you will need to do is save the DSR as a new DB file and then export the data out of your current DB file and then import it into the new DB file. Then in the future you can just reconcile in the changes.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2016 at 12:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well, I was able to do the import/export and I think everything went ok, everything appears ok so far. But of the 24,500 records about 200 of them are missing? The new .dsr/.db/application that I designed has less fields so I don't know if that has something to do with it, or if it automatically gets rid of duplicates. But not really sure which ones are missing or why...

IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 1:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
actiontech,

You probably are already aware of this but just incase you are not look in the users guide for the INI options (on pages 547 and 548 in mine)

BACKUP ON INTERVAL:
BACKUP ON LOAD:
BACKUP ON SAVE:

I have found extremely frequent use of BACKUP ON INTERVAL: to be a life saver and for me one of the best safety nets for my own stupidity besides any chance of system issues.

I have my BACKUP ON INTERVAL files automatically copied/moved to an external drive all throughout the day. This allows for protection against hardware failures, user data screw-ups and stops the sesame drive space from becoming used up with the backups.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 2:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
If a record is completely blank it will not be there when imported.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 1:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
That makes sense, good enough explanation for me. Thank you to both, and I will setup that backup on interval feature. Thanks again.

IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2016 at 3:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Setting a correct export spec with only the fields I needed, exporting with default settings, and then on the new application, setting the exact same import spec, in the same order solved the issue.

Also, thanks for clearing up the issue, that the missing records (after the import) were most likely blank records that were accidentally added over time.

IP Logged