Normal Topic Merge Document Possibilities (Read 603 times)
actiontech

Merge Document Possibilities
Apr 27th, 2016 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone know, is it possible to merge "all retrieved records" into one merge document? Not into multiple documents, not automatically creating/opening multiple documents. But merging different retrieved records into one document? Much like you'd do with a Report, where it displays information from multiple records on one document, except in this case it's filling fields in your own custom-designed Word Merge document?

If it's not, it would be really cool if it was.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Merge Document Possibilities
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 3:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you Mail merge Labels that is exactly what Word does using the "Next" or "Next Record" merge field codes. How to insert the "Next" Merge code into your document depends on your version of word. If you're using word 2007 or newer it can be inserted under the Rules dropdown on the Mailings tab. For older versions, a quick google search should provide the answer.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2016 at 1:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thank you very much. I will take note and look into this further. I'll report back if I figure out a cool way to use this.

IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2016 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
I took a WordMerge set of coding from Inside Sesame years ago and have altered it heavily ... I've got a input selection to print on current record or all retrieved ... it's pretty dense code, but I'd be happy to share it ...

IP Logged

actiontech

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2016 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sure, if you'd like to do that, I'd greatly appreciate taking a look at it.

What I'm interested in doing is using "Word Merge" (all retrieved records) to create a Schedule.

So basically, instead of just of merging one service order, one service order, one service order. It merges all the service orders onto one document, for that tech, for that time period (in this case, day).

Much like how generating a Report works.

I'm also experimenting with the Microsoft Word side of it too, with .docm. Doc macros. Planning on setting up some cool macros to go ahead and do the print merge fields, to take out more and more steps in the process from "Clickin' a button" on Sesame to having a beautiful useful document in front of you for use as an attachment.

IP Logged