Normal Topic Is it possible to import into existing records? (Read 420 times)
actiontech

Is it possible to import into existing records?
May 25th, 2016 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to import into existing records? Rather than, create a whole new record.

In this situation, I have an existing layout element text field called City. I wanted to turn that into a layout element combo box (dropdown text field).

As far as I understand, this is not possible in Sesame Designer. You have to create a whole new layout element to do this. So accordingly, that's what I did.

My plan was to export all of the data from the "City" field to the new "CityX" field.

Export went fine, but when I imported, it simply created new records for all the imported City fields.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Is it possible to import into existing records?
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2016 at 6:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
It is true that you can not change element types in Sesame designer. However when you create the new City combo box, all you need to do is bind it to the existing City field in the underlying database rather then create a new text field. Then you can delete the original City Text Box element and the City Combo box will display the data on each record.

Alternatively since you've already created a new CityX field you can run a Mass Update on each record in your database to populate CityX = City. Import+Export is not where you want to be at all.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged