Normal Topic I need a step-by-step explanation of subforms (Read 630 times)
Rod Weston

I need a step-by-step explanation of subforms
Aug 26th, 2016 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to design a form with subforms, but am not getting anywhere. I am missing something very basic, I think. I have looked at the samples, but am still not getting it. Undecided

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: I need a step-by-step explanation of subforms
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2016 at 4:19am
Print Post Print Post  
What part are you not getting?

The basic philosophy of Sesame sub-forms?
How to build a sub-form in SDesigner?
How to navigate / search using sub-forms?
How to use programming to glean information from sub-forms?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Rod Weston

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am building a purchase order form which will use a sub-form for the items on the purchase order. I have resolved most of the issues pertaining to sub-forms but have some questions about the programming of sub-forms.

For newbies, it would be helpful to have a document explaining all the above, basic philosophy, building a subform in SDesigner, navigating and searching using sub-forms and programming sub-forms.

For now, I have the sub-form created but making it work properly so that the user can enter all the line items and having the form provide a running total of taxes and prices is still a work in progress.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 29th, 2016 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Other than specific programming, most of the basics are covered in chapter 13 of the User Guide. Is there some basic aspect of sub-forms that we should be touching on in more depth?

Creating sub-forms in SDesigner, is covered in Chapter 5. Chapter 6 covers adding and editing data, and has section starting on page 233, covering sub-forms. Chapter 7 covers form navigation, including sub-forms. The advanced topics section covers sub-forms and natural versus relational linking.

Pages 68-69 in the Programming Guide give an example of how access fields in a sub-from, resulting in a total. Page 109 provides a list of "Form" commands to access both parent and child forms.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged