Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Changing field Type from Number to Text (Read 9051 times)
obfusc88

No personal text

Changing field Type from Number to Text
Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have a database with about 40,000 records.  Customer now wants to modify relational field to include letters as Prefix/Suffix to existing numbers.

Need to change the exixting Number field (key relational field) into a Text field.  Current number format is all digits, no commas, no decimals, no $.  Display is a whole number like 33592.  Need to change to look something like PD33592skp.

Result shows all numbers with 8 decimals, like 33592.00000000.  How to make it convert to no decimals, true text format?  Custom format only has options to control cases.

Database is too complex to do MUD to strip off last 9 chars, may take about 8 hours to process all 40000 records.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Changing field Type from Number to Text
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
You'll need to use @Decimals() in a Mass Update to strip the 0's. Converting from a number to a string means the entire numerical value is converted.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Need another answer.  As noted in original msg, Mass Update (MUD) is really a last choice, need something else.

OR, is there a way I can disable all other programming from running with a MUD.  Especially OnFormEntry/ or OnElement/Form Exit/Change ?  It is the internal code that causes the long time on the MUD operations.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Use Mass Update on Engine.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
obfusc88 wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 7:52pm:
OR, is there a way I can disable all other programming from running with a MUD. 

Never tried this, but can you surround existing code with something like:
Code
Select All
// Insert next line to prevent running during MUD operations
// Mode(2) is Search Mode, should not run during MUD
If @Mode(2) Then {
...Existing Code
...More code
...End of code
} 

Insert this code in all other areas that run.  And then do the MUD on the field with the decimals problem?  When MUD is done, comment out the top and bottom lines to keep available for future MUD operations.

Maybe a future enhancement to have an @Mode(MUD) value?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 8:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is no need for an @Mode() flag because no form events run when a Mass Update is running.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray - What do you mean by "use Mass Update on Engine"?

Do you mean on a stand alone PC, or on the Server vs. a work station?  Something else?

I thought some code would run during Mass Update, even if just to make fields visible, change fonts, etc? 

If no code is running, then why would a simple Mass Update take such a long time to process. 

For example just doing the ParentOrder = @Decimals(ParentOrder,0) routine should be a simple routine, but earlier "simple" Mass Updates on this database have run longer than a work shift.

It might take 12 hours on a workstation, so I would copy the data base from my customer to my office, and do the Mass Update on a stand alone, and it would still take 6-7 hours.

Since this Mass Update I need to do for the decimals would be on a natural relation key field, I guess that it will also involve indexing and matching to sub forms that will add more time?

Some older records, have no subform records, would that group run faster since no linking is necessary?  So, maybe doing two batches might speed it up?

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 3:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
obfusc88 wrote on Feb 21st, 2018 at 9:56pm:
Ray - What do you mean by "use Mass Update on Engine"?

Do you mean on a stand alone PC, or on the Server vs. a work station?  Something else?

I mean Mass Update on Engine. It was introduced in version 2.0.5 back in 2008. Page 15-16 of the Errata http://www.lantica.com/Files/errata.pdf

Quote:
I thought some code would run during Mass Update, even if just to make fields visible, change fonts, etc? 

If no code is running, then why would a simple Mass Update take such a long time to process. 

No, I just verified this with 2.6.4. Even the universal event(Which pretty much always runs and should never be used unless you are building a game) doesn't run when a Mass Update is running.

It's slow because you are pulling every parent record and it's child records from the Server to the Client machine. The forms still format and display the data. Then the update happens. Then the Parent and it's Child records are sent back to the server, and the next one is passed over. Mass Update on the Engine eliminates a lot of this as it runs on the Sesame server working directly on the database itself which is why you have to use Field names and not Element names when using it. This eliminates having to send every record(and the child records) back and forth from the Server to the Client. So it eliminates the network, child records, element formatting, drawing the record on screen, and probably something else that I can't recall at the moment, so it is much much much faster.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2018 at 4:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Ray.

I totally missed this.  Don't recall ever hearing about this.  Will check it out today.

IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
As I have mentioned in the past, Ray .... You are the GOAT!

That has saved me so much time.  I cannot believe this has been here for so long, and I never used it.  It is now my GOTO tool!

This should be MUST READING for anyone doing Mass Updates.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
obfusc88 wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 6:31pm:

Ummm MEEEEEHH MEEEEEH. I think I said that right... Google Translate won't convert "Thank You" to Goatish and my Goatish is a bit rusty as it's been a while since I've hung out over in the Goat barn. I am pretty fluent in Horse-anese however!

Quote:

It has it limitations as discussed in the documentation, so it won't replace client side Mass Updates, but for simple mass updates, it's a fantastic tool.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 7:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray the Reaper wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 6:48pm:
obfusc88 wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 6:31pm:

Ummm MEEEEEHH MEEEEEH. I think I said that right... Google Translate won't convert "Thank You" to Goatish and my Goatish is a bit rusty as it's been a while since I've hung out over in the Goat barn. I am pretty fluent in Horse-anese however!

Quote:

It has it limitations as discussed in the documentation, so it won't replace client side Mass Updates, but for simple mass updates, it's a fantastic tool.

-Ray

Yes, but this is a good reason to make Element Names the same as the Field Names. Then you can use MUD on Engine with no extra issues.  I had run into a few that were different, so I changed the Field Names to match the Element Names, so no need to go through code to fix Element Names that don't change (maybe in quotes, referenced on other forms, etc.) from the "normal" change process.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2018 at 7:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
obfusc88 wrote on Feb 27th, 2018 at 7:12pm:
so no need to go through code to fix Element Names that don't change (maybe in quotes, referenced on other forms, etc.) from the "normal" change process.

No but if you reference those fields in the XResultSet() family of commands you will still need to update the programming.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged