Normal Topic Report column width control (Read 2324 times)
obfusc88

No personal text

Report column width control
Dec 29th, 2018 at 3:17am
Print Post Print Post  
How do I control the width of columns in reports? 

I have many columns that are wrapping on space chars.  I have tried using the Element editor, on the Position tab.  I get a single box for Width.  What goes in here?  How do I edit it?  Is there a WordWrap option somewhere?

After entering a number, I see a small "W" shows on the report element, but see no result.  I have tried entering numbers from 10-50 and see no results.  For those elements with the "W" I cannot see what that value is, or if it needs to be larger or smaller. 

I have added a W value to the Header and Group.  Do I need to put that W value into every element in that column, in all Group sectoiins, footers and headers, etc.?

Also how can I make data to Justify L/R/C?

Can find nothing in the Users Guide.

IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Re: Report column width control
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2018 at 4:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Time has passed, and I have moved forward.  I found I could see the Width in the Element Viewer.

I discovered that the Width values I had tested were too small.  Using larger numbers did allow me to make some columns wider.  Also added same W value to all elements in the same column.

Some unresolved issues:
1. I cannot seem to change the width of the Spacers.
2. I cannot get a Date Printed, Page #, etc. to stop wrapping on the footer.  If I make that element wider, it affects all the columns above it. Maybe that needs to be in a different group?
3.  Columns on the right getting squeezed and merged.  Probably due to Page Width?  But shouldn't age width be more open to HTML format?
4.  How to Justify L/C/R  Using 03 did not seem to bring text to lower left of invisible element cell
5.  Possible to define a smaller font to help fit on Landscape?

Thanks for listening.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2019 at 4:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
obfusc88 wrote on Dec 29th, 2018 at 4:30am:
1. I cannot seem to change the width of the Spacers.

The width can be set just like other elements.

Quote:
2. I cannot get a Date Printed, Page #, etc. to stop wrapping on the footer.  If I make that element wider, it affects all the columns above it. Maybe that needs to be in a different group?

If they are in a Group footer, they will affect the columns above it as the Group is one big table. You can set Column Span in the width element by setting it to c2, c3, etc. where the number is the number of columns you want that element to span.

Quote:
3.  Columns on the right getting squeezed and merged.  Probably due to Page Width?  But shouldn't age width be more open to HTML format?

With no widths set, the data can adjust the size of the columns as needed to fit the page and the data. When you start setting widths, you force things to be specific widths and run out of room if you set things to be too wide. 

Quote:
4.  How to Justify L/C/R  Using 03 did not seem to bring text to lower left of invisible element cell

If you turn on cell borders, you can see that data being aligned in the cell.

Quote:
5.  Possible to define a smaller font to help fit on Landscape?

You can go down to 8 in the report designer. Anything smaller than that gets awfully hard to see.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

obfusc88

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2019 at 6:53am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for all the answers Ray.

Will have to spend more time getting to master these tools.

IP Logged