Normal Topic Sesame Locked Form and Phantom User (Read 11002 times)
Matt D

Sesame Locked Form and Phantom User
Nov 11th, 2019 at 3:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Recently, one of my user's desktops crashed while he was viewing a form in a Sesame database. As a result, that form was locked for all other users. All other forms in the database were fine and unlocked. The lock message accurately shows that Jonathan's desktop is the user locking the form.

Jonathan's desktop was shut down and restarted. He is able to access Sesame and the particular database with no issues. However, the particular form in question is still locked for all users. I have unlocked the database, just to see if that had an effect. As expected, it had no effect since the database was not locked, just a particular form.

The notification section of the admin panel shows multiple instances of Jonathan's desktop. When he is logged into the system, it shows 3 identical entries with his desktop name. When he is not logged into Sesame (and even when his computer is shut down), the notification window shows two entries with his desktop name. When looking at the server console, it shows the correct number of current sesame users. For example, if me, Steve and Jonathan are logged on to Sesame, the server console window shows 3 of 6 user licenses active. But when looking at the notifications tab of the admin panel, it shows 5 users -- me, Steve, Jonathan, and the 2 phantom Jonathans. If Jonathan logs off Sesame and shuts down his desktop, the server console shows 2 of 6 users, but the notifications tab shows 4 - me, Steve and the 2 phantom Jonathans.

I tried to notify and disconnect from the admin panel, but that does not work. I believe it is timing out since the server cannot contact the 2 phantom Jonathans in order to notify them. I have tried to shutdown the server without notifications from the admin panel, but that is not shutting down the system. Presumably because of the phantom users as well.

I had everyone log out from Sesame and performed an emergency shutdown from the server. Sesame shut down as expected. When I reloaded sesame, the two phantom users were still in the notifications window of the admin panel and the  form is still locked.

Any ideas as to how to unlock this form will be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Sesame Locked Form and Phantom User
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 3:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Matt,

What version of Sesame are you using?

Record locking is kept in memory on the server so shutting down the Server or unloading the database will clear that. But it's sounding like the phantom clients are reconnecting and relocking that record which means that the Sesame Client is still running. What I would recommend doing is shutting down the Sesame Server, Verify using Task Manager(make sure to show processes from all users) that there are no copies of Sesame.exe running on that client computer. Then restart the Sesame Server. Connections should show 0 of 6 and Open Applications should just show System Database. Then launch a client and open your database. Check if the record is locked.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Matt D

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 4:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray

Thanks for the quick reply.

I’m embarrassed to say that we are still using an original version (1.1.4).  Undecided  We are really only using Sesame for one database that is outside of our normal software, that had been running fine, and was never updated.

The locked file is no longer locked. Why? I’m not quite sure. I had everyone exit properly from sesame, except me. None of the computers (other than mine) had any Sesame.exe processes running. I was unable to Stop the Server from the server admin panel. When I tried, it just hung up (“Disconnecting all clients. Please wait …” for more than 5 minutes). I had to do an emergency disconnect from the server. I reopened Sesame on the server and logged in from my desktop. From the notifications window in the server admin panel, there were now just 2 users – me and one of the phantom Jonathans. Where did the other phantom go? Not sure, but I did have Jonathan shut down his computer before doing this test. No one other than me had any sesame.exe processes running (showing processes from all users). I had Jonathan log into Sesame. He was able to access the database and the form was no longer locked.

I’m still showing a phantom Jonathan user. I had tried the emergency shutdown last week and the form did not unlock. Why did it today? No idea. But the system seems to be working fine (other than the one phantom user).

I’ll let you know if the issue comes back.

Matt

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 5:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yeah the 1.x series had some issues with phantom users that I have long forgotten about as we stopped support for that version oh close to 10 years ago now probably. I would highly recommend upgrading if the issue persists.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged