Normal Topic Sesame server in Cloud Services? (Read 16288 times)
lksseven

Sesame server in Cloud Services?
Jul 20th, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is it possible to have Sesame Server running in the cloud (like Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud), and then access it with Sesame clients at my location?  Trying to get in remotely to my Sesame server running on a pc at the office is pretty slow/laborious/iffy.

BTW, I did the vast bulk of my Sesame programming (application suite of tools - sales order, invoice, purchase order, inventory, data analysis/mining) in 2009/2010/2011.  And it has been faithfully serving my little company ever since - great great helper for us.

Larry
IP Logged

Acebanner

Re: Sesame server in Cloud Services?
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I would also be curious to know if this is possible. Similarly, Sesame has been serving my company well since 2008, still very happy with it.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 12:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
lksseven wrote on Jul 20th, 2020 at 1:35pm:
Is it possible to have Sesame Server running in the cloud (like Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud), and then access it with Sesame clients at my location?  Trying to get in remotely to my Sesame server running on a pc at the office is pretty slow/laborious/iffy.

BTW, I did the vast bulk of my Sesame programming (application suite of tools - sales order, invoice, purchase order, inventory, data analysis/mining) in 2009/2010/2011.  And it has been faithfully serving my little company ever since - great great helper for us. 

One problem with a lot of shared web servers is that you do not have enough control over them to allow the TCP connections that Sesame needs in order to operate.

Another is speed. Sesame communications is a lot of back and forth between the client and the server. The more jumps(servers that are passing the data onto the final destination), the slower the data is in getting there. If you're on the East coast connecting to a Server on the West coast, it'll be slower than connecting to the exact same server on the East coast.

So it is possible but it is likely slower than using a good solid fast VPN to connect to an in house server.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

BWETTLAUFER

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2020 at 12:06am
Print Post Print Post  
I have a hobby database on an AWS machine.  Took a little fiddling to open the ports, and every once in a while clients can't connect and it requires a restart of the daemon service ... no issues with speed, but it's a very simple database with 5 users.

IP Logged